Did you accidentally delete an important file? Moreover, was the file victim of file corruption?
If so then these free recovery tools can spare you from a world of pain and help you recover the lost files.
The biggest problems with data recovery is that the software can be quite expensive, the top tools cost you around $100 or more for one license.
We compile a list of the best data recovering software of 2019 which are completely free.
We have the knowledge and tested more than 50 data recovery programs and sorted out the ones that truly recover data.
The software listed below is 100% free, or open source which means that you can use them to recover and save your files without having to purchase a license.
We know the feeling of losing precious data not only it is a major hassle it can cause lots of problems, stress and it might have a financial burden to recover.
Data loss is quite common, and it can also happen in a professional environment. Fortunately, there are some great data recovery software solutions for free.
Fortunately, there are some great data recovery software solutions for free.
Moreover, although those programs can help you recover your lost data, it is important that when you find that you accidentally deleted important files that you stop using the affected hard drive or at least minimize the activity so that new files do not overwrite the deleted files.
The files you deleted are still present in your hard drive or storage hardware, and they can only be recovered if new data is not recorded over their physical locations in the storage device.
Here are the top tips if you experience data loss:
- Stop using the device where the data files are located
- Try to install the data recovery program in a different hard drive from the one you want to recover the data from; there are portable versions of the programs that you can use on a USB drive
- Once you are ready to recover the data files save them to a different hard drive or volume
We want to point out that some of the programs listed in the article are subjected to change, some software developers need to keep updating a piece of software to change the software from free to paid.
While at the time of writing this article, software is free to use that could change. Also, some free data recovery software changes the software usability in an attempt of pushing users to buy the Pro versions.
Finally, some of the programs in this list may get acquired by other companies.
The first program I would recommend in case you accidentally deleted files from Windows recycle bin, or a USB drive would be Recuva.
I considered Recuva to be in the top of the list best data recovery software.
The software can recover data from hard drives, memory cards, external drives, and I was even able to recover some photos from a scratch CD.
You can get Recuva from its official website have to select the free download button, and when you’re using the program, you will be prompted to upgrade but ignore the upgrade pitch.
Recuva recovery software search for the lost data by searching for unreferenced data.
Here is a nice video tutorial that you may find useful:
- Easy to use, providing both simple and advanced options
- Quick to download and install
- Superior fire recovery
- Deep scan function
- Recovers files from damage or recently formatted drives
- Ability to preview highlighted images before recovery
- Easy user interface
- Works on FAT and NTFS systems
- Unfortunately, the program lists also junk files which makes it difficult to find the files you want
Photorec is a free open-source file recovery software created by Christophe Grenier that works in a wide range of operating systems.
Also, don’t get tricked by its name, Photorec is much more than a photo recovery tool.
The software can recover more than 500 file types from hard drives or another media storage device.
The program is easy to use that can save you much frustration.
The program ignores the file system and searches the underline data, this way it has a greater chance of recovering data that has been severely damaged or reformatted.
- Ability to work on multiple platforms
- Its developer is constantly updating the software
- Fantastic recovery capabilities of a large variety of file formats
- Open Source
- If you’re not familiarized with command lines, you might feel a little bit intimidated by its interface
- It can be a little hard to configure it properly
Puran File Recovery (Windows)
Puran File Recovery is a powerful, flexible data recovery software, that tries to be simple while allowing users to customize the search factors.
The tool is extremely fast and brings great results. You can try the deep or full scanning options to improve the chances of success.
The software can rescue data from practically any type of storage medium.
You can see a great tutorial from the developer here:
- Deep scan possibility and full scan options for a more powerful searching process
- Files categorization by type
- Great chance of recovering the file without data loss
- Ability to preview highlighted files
- It is not very intuitive for new users
Glary Undelete (Windows)
The software is capable of recovering items from FAT and NTFS hard drives. It is extremely easy to use; you only have to choose the drive where the fires were located and click the search option.
After a while, the software will present you a bunch of files that have recovered, and you need to select the ones you need.
The software has a clean, logical interface that is a perfect solution for novice and experts alike.
Either you want to recover files directly from an SD card, flash drive, hard drive, or any other storage device you will be amazed by this free recovery application, that makes the recovery process simple and fast with is a wizard-driven interface.
The software will perform an automatic sorting of the files according to the name, date, size each file making it easier for the user to filter the information and find the lost files.
- The program has a small download file
- It has a very simple logical system for organizing folders and file types
- The advanced filter allows searching by date, size, and other file attributes
- Support most versions of Windows
- There isn’t a portable version available to download
- Unfortunately tries to install another program during setup
Disk Drill is a fantastic free data recovery software with great features and a simple design which makes it unique from other recovery software’s. The software is easy to use, reliable and it does not require you to be an expert to operate.
The data recovery software allows you to recover 500 MB of data at no charge.
The free edition also gives you the possibility of unlimited scanning and previewing of the lost data, this way you can determine if you want to invest and buy the Pro version to recover the data.
The software has multiple scan options and includes a powerful deep scan features, that can search deeply into your drives and recover lost files even when there is no partition present.
Disk Drill works with Windows and Mac OS.
- Deleted files are organized by category
- You can filter the results by size or date
- It supports both a quick scan and a deep scan
- It works with Windows or Mac OS
- High success rates in recovering files
- Simple interface
- You can only recover 500 MB of data
- It doesn’t have a portable version
- You can’t determine how recoverable a file is before restoration
SoftPerfect File Recovery (Windows)
SoftPerfect File Recovery is a great option to bring you accidentally delete the files back.
The program is very lightweight, free and does not require you to install it. It has very simple options making it extremely easy to use.
If you will have lots of files you have to launch the software, select the drive you wish to recover the file from, and click search.
In a short period, the software will display a list with all the matching deleted files.
You will have to select restore, and you have you deleted file back to life. SoftPerfect File Recovery supports FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, and NTFS5 file systems.
You can even copy the program to a USB drive and use it wherever you needed.
- Very easy to use
- Does not need to be installed
- Works from any portable device like a USB drive
- You can search deleted files by file extension and file name
- You can restore more than one file simultaneously
- Takes up less than 1 MB of space
- Doesn’t support previewing image files
- Unfortunately, doesn’t indicate the health of the deleted file
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard
Overall EaseUS data recovery Wizard is an impressive piece of software that even IT professional love its features.
Also EaseUS has a great lineup of data utilities that not only are extremely powerful but are easy enough for everyone to use.
Furthermore, the program is available for both Windows and Mac, this way you can recover accidentally deleted by some rogue program. It can also access raw or corrupted partitions.
EaseUS can easily recover files from damaged files by virus attacks, disc damage, partition loss, system crash, or quite simply an accidental deletion.
We found this program to be one of the best in our recovery software category.
The free version of the program will be able to recover approximately 500 GB of data.
The paid version will give you a lifetime license that will be packed with features to help you recover the data.
EaseUS can recover data for almost all file types, over 1000 types to be exact.
Easy to use – EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can recover data from SSD’s, mobile devices, memory cards, digital cameras, USB drives, and many other storage devices.
It is a very safe and easy to use software that can remove many of your frustrations with data loss.
In fact the software is simply one of the best for any data situation loss because of the simplicity and power.
- Option to backup the scans to restore files later
- Supports Windows and Mac OS
- Option to sort files by type, date, and name
- Ease of use
- Supports previewing files before restoration
- 500 MB limit of data recovered in the free version
Exif Untrasher (macOS)
Exif Untrasher is another data recovery software that is free but only runs on Mac; its primary function is to recover JPEG photos that might have been deleted from a digital camera.
You can still use it to recover lost data files from external drives like for example a memory card or a USB drive. We like to point out that this app can only recover JPEG images, so if your camera has saved the files in the raw format it won’t work.
- Easy to download and install
- Improve usability and ease of use
- The software is quick and accurate in recovering the erased pictures
- Various code optimizations
- Quality of the recovery photos is extremely good
- It works only with JPEG files
- Can’t recover photos from an internal Mac hard drive
Tokiwa Data Recovery (Windows)
Tokiwa Data Recovery is another software that you can use to recover your lost files.
The installation is quick since this is a standalone application, and the application is quite fast taking me under two minutes to find the files.
The software supports FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS file systems. It has a simple interface from which you choose the drive you want to scan. I also like the fact that the program can be run from a USB drive.
The program is only 200 kB in size while compressed, and the extracted executive is 400 kB. Unfortunately, the program is only available for the Windows operating system.
- Portability and no installation required
- Fast scanning process
- Deep scan functions
- Ability to wipe files permanently
- Lack of documentation
- You will not be able to preview images of files
- Only available for Windows operating system
PC INSPECTOR File Recovery (Windows)
PC Inspector file recovery is another super powerful freeware option at your disposal to help you recover faster deleted or formatted files from disk or partitions.
If your hard drive has any mechanical problems, then the program will not help you.
The software has a decent GUI and is easy to use. I like that the program can recover data even if the boot sector or file system has suffered damaged or have been deleted.
The program does use specific terminology that mind turns off some beginners, and even some advanced users might find the workflow a little clunky.
However, you will be surprised if you take the time to see how powerful this data recovery program is.
- You can recover lost partitions
- You can save data to a network drive
- Interface and terminology may be intimidating
MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free
MiniTool Power Data Recovery, it’s a great free data recovery software, that could help you recover formatted or lost data from hard drives, memory cards, SSD drives, USB drives, and other storage devices.
The program is very easy to operate, and you can recover your files quickly. The program has a recovery Wizard that helps you recover data from hard drives and Raid devices with ease.
If you’re have deleted data or data saved in lost or damaged hard drive partitions, then you should try to recover the data with this program.
The program allows you to pinpoint and recover lost media files like documents, videos, pictures, audio, saving you many headaches and avoiding unnecessary work, since you can select the type of file you’re looking for.
The tool provides the following data recovery methods:
- Digital media recovery
- CD or DVD data recovery
- Free bootable disk
The only limitation you are going to encounter with the free edition is that the data recovery is limited to 1 GB if you need to extract more data than you will need to buy the premium version.
The program supports a wide range of file types including *.m4v, *.3g2, *.wtv, *.wrf, *.pps, *.dp, so it will be easy to find and recover your files.
UnDeleteMyFiles Pro is easy and fast to find and recover deleted media from your digital devices.
It has a very simple two-step process that allows you to recover files that you accidentally delete on your system or that suffer from some sort of data corruption.
It has a nice interface that is very easy to use, in which you must select the device that can take the data you want to recover and next have to specify the folder where you want to save the files to.
The software will allow you to recover accidentally deleted files from USB flash drives, SD cards, internal and external hard drives, and other types of storage media.
The software best features are:
- File rescue
- Media recover Wizard
- Deleted file search
- Files wiper
- Emergency disk image
- Mail rescue
UnDeleteMyFiles Pro is a fantastic piece of software that will help you recover your lost data with ease.
The app is available in English, and it works in all the Windows versions.